Soham

Directory

History

Links

News

Photos

Downfields (Pollard's) Windmill

Downfields Windmill 1933Downfields Windmill, also known as Pollard's Mill, was a smock Mill first erected circa 1726, raised on a brick base in 1860, and rebuilt as a tower-mill after a storm in 1890. The need to re-use the machinery and other parts may well explain the odd profile adopted - an octagonal tower almost vertical for two floors and then tapering more sharply. The windshaft is cast iron, other gearing is timber, but the main shaft has a cast-iron extension. The sails drive the three pairs of stones and a dresser. The ogee cap is metal sheeted, it has two patent sails and a fantail at present although they are in desperate need of repair.

Soham once had many more windmills, most of which were relied on to lift water and maintain levels before the advent of the steam pumping engines in the late 19th century. Some of these windmills had been in existence since the early 18th century. They must have presented an inspiring view on the approach to Soham. The corn mills outlived their counterparts. Unfortunately, all but the remaining two had been demolished before the 1960's.

Downfields Windmill 1954
Downfields Windmill 1954
Downfields Windmill 1965
Downfields Windmill 1965
Clark's Windmill, Soham 1915 (Now Demolished)
Clark's Windmill, Soham 1915 (Now Demolished)
Unknown Windmill, Soham 1914 (Now Demolished)
Unknown Windmill, Soham 1914 (Now Demolished)

Login

Google Translate

English French German Italian Portuguese Russian Spanish

We have 60 guests and no members online